Frequently Asked Questions

For your convenience, our most common questions are answered right here.

Q:  What are expectations for product delivered?

A:  Product must be packed and delivered to the Food Hub at Eden Valley Growers.  Cornell Cooperative Extension will be providing a training on how to pack, sort, grade and size items to Eden Valley Grower specifications.  Information will also be posted on this website as soon as the information is available.

Q:  What are the requirements for participating in the WNY Food Hub?

A:  1) Get your Good Agricultural Practices (G.A.P.s) certification.  EVG/Western NY Food Hub and Cornell Cooperative Extension will help you with this; 2) Learn packing standards accepted by the produce markets.  EVG/Western NY Food Hub and Cornell Cooperative Extension will help you with this; 3) Good communication with EVG/Western NY Food Hub on availability and quantities; 4) Timely delivery of product to EVG/Western NY Food Hub based on orders and needs; 5) $2 million liability insurance coverage;  6) Be able to supply a 30 case minimum.

Q:  What items are you looking for?

A:   The WNY Food Hub is interested in  certified organic, fruit, root crops, specialty/niche crops, ethnic crops and items you grow even if not listed

Q:  Do we have to deliver product to the WNY Food Hub?

A: Yes.

Q:  How do we get G.A.P. Certified?

A:  Cornell Cooperative Extension is providing G.A.P. training for two people per farm.  The training schedule will be posted on this website under the tab, “Training and Technical Assistance.”  For participants in the Food Hub, there is no cost to the two-day training because it is subsidized through the USDA grant.  Food Hub staff will also work with your farm to assist in the G.A.P. certification process.

Q:  What will the pricing be?

A:   Pricing is determined based on market prices at any given time.  Eden Valley Growers’ existing relationships with buyers should deliver favorable pricing.

Q:  What training and technical assistance is available?

A:   The WNY Food Hub project can provide the following training and technical assistance:

  • GAP training & assistance with certification
  • Post-harvest handling, packing, grading, etc.
  • Crop planning
  • Scaling your farm business

Q:  Do we need to sell under the Eden Valley Growers name or can we sell under our own name?

A:  Growers are able to keep their own identity if requested.  However, planning during the off-season is needed to work out the details.

Not finding what you want? Reach out directly through our Contact Us page.

Connecting growers to markets